Posted to rec.woodworking
Keith nuttle Keith nuttle is offline

Default A tip for lubricating you clamps.

On 2/7/2017 7:41 PM, Doug Miller wrote:
woodchucker wrote in news:GaudnZv5WLN9pAfFnZ2dnUU7-

[...]
Once caution about carb cleaner. or brake cleaner.
if you weld, never use either.

Repeat: IF YOU WELD, NEVER USE EITHER.

if there is any trace of liquid (doubtful long term) but still a
possibility hitting the liquid with intense heat as a welder could
leave you paralyzed or dead. it can cause nerve damage.

The first time I read about this, three or four years ago, I thought "yeah, riiiiight". Checked
into it, though, and it's a *very real* hazard -- the result is one of the gases that was used in
chem warfare in WW One. Phosgene, I think. Anyway, it's a *nasty* *******.

After reading about that, I no longer use it, as I do weld. I don't
clean anything that I might use during welding with those cleaners.

As I indicated in my original post where I posted the MSGS sheet, not
all brake cleaners on carburator cleaners are created equal. I posted a
cleaner based on Methylene Chloride. You posted a brake cleaner that
contains tetraChloroethylene. The one I use Supertech contains
Acetone, Toluene, and Methanol and no chlorohydrocarbons. While they
are all flamable, and volatile, they are completely different materials
in the health hazards, and must be treated differently.