Posted to rec.woodworking
Doug Miller[_4_] Doug Miller[_4_] is offline

Default A tip for lubricating you clamps.

woodchucker wrote in news:GaudnZv5WLN9pAfFnZ2dnUU7-
:

[...]
Once caution about carb cleaner. or brake cleaner.
if you weld, never use either.

Repeat: IF YOU WELD, NEVER USE EITHER.

if there is any trace of liquid (doubtful long term) but still a
possibility hitting the liquid with intense heat as a welder could
leave you paralyzed or dead. it can cause nerve damage.

The first time I read about this, three or four years ago, I thought "yeah, riiiiight". Checked
into it, though, and it's a *very real* hazard -- the result is one of the gases that was used in
chem warfare in WW One. Phosgene, I think. Anyway, it's a *nasty* *******.

After reading about that, I no longer use it, as I do weld. I don't
clean anything that I might use during welding with those cleaners.