Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
graham[_5_] graham[_5_] is offline

Default Back in business

On 2017-02-07 4:43 AM, Dr. Deb wrote:
I said it turned out passable because I could not get the bottom of the
bowl smooth as a baby's butt, because of the tearout due to the
spalting. I did soak it in Minwax Wood Hardner, but that caused it to
pick up two new splits, which I filled with epoxy and Bright Penny
Copper, saving the bowl.

If I have excessive tear out, I coat the piece with a thin, penetrating
epoxy. Of course, that adds a day to the process while it cures
thoroughly, but I'm not a professional.
I have used the stuff sold by Lee Valley:
http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/pag...at=1,190,42997

I just bought the liquid replacement rather than the whole kit when I
had to repair a short section of fascia that had rotted but not yet
disintegrated. It worked a treat!
Graham