Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mark Allread[_2_] Mark Allread[_2_] is offline

Default Resurfacing drive - best moss/lichen/algae killer

On Fri, 03 Feb 2017 17:15:28 +0000, Caecilius wrote:

On Fri, 03 Feb 2017 09:36:16 -0600, Mark Allread wrote:

The drive is to be resurfaced but before I have it done I want to get
rid of Moss etc.

Thoughts are to give a double treatment a couple of weeks apart before
machine brushing (Bobcat mounted brush) to remove the dead moss and
loose surface dressing.

Glyphosate will be used also as a systemic weedkiller.

Glyphosate will kill growing plants, but it won't touch moss.

I know - that's why it is being used as well as moss killer. There are
weeds as well as moss. Glyphosate, at this time o f the year will be
slow but will eventually work.

Any recommendations on the best *moss etc* killer applicable during Feb/
March months - staining will not be a problem due to the resurfacing.

Ferrous sulphate (iron II sulphate). Light green powder. You can get it
pretty cheaply if you buy it from ebay or amazon.

It will oxidise to some extent when you mix it with water, and then a
bit more when it's exposed to the air. It can stain concrete orange.

It *will* stain not can stain. Hnece why I've only used it on grass
before and had forgotten about it for hard surfaces.