Posted to sci.electronics.repair,rec.antiques.radio+phono

Default Why should someone replace ALL the capacitors on old Tube equipment?

On Fri, 03 Feb 2017 16:50:33 -0600, wrote:

I have been reading alot of websites about caps. One of them said the
wax coated ones were less leaky (for moisture), than the old plastic
coated ones. I am referring to the ones called "black beauties", that
have color code bands on them.Yet, back in the early 70's, I knew a guy
who was a retired radio-tv repairman as well as a Ham operator, and he
used to say those "black beauties" were far better than the wax ones.
(as well as the other plastic encased ones with the numbers on them
instead of the color bands).

That's conflicting info. Yet I know that all of them are paper caps.

Nope. The black beauty caps are di film dielectric, which is a
sandwich of mylar and paper. I think they might have been injected
with oil after assembly, but I'm not certain. You must have missed
something in your youth as everyone I knew that was fixing TV's would
break one open to see what was inside.

The preceding caps were bumble bee caps, which were oiled paper
dielectric. The succeeding caps were orange drop caps which are
metalized mylar dielectric.

--
Jeff Liebermann

150 Felker St #D
http://www.LearnByDestroying.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558