Posted to sci.electronics.repair,rec.antiques.radio+phono
[email protected] oldschool@tubes.com is offline

Default Why should someone replace ALL the capacitors on old Tube equipment?

On Fri, 3 Feb 2017 14:08:37 -0500, Nick Danger
wrote:

On 2/2/2017 9:13 PM, Jim Mueller wrote:

While tube electronics may survive a nuclear war, it is irrelevant.
There won't be any electricity to run them. The power plants are
controlled by computers. Likewise, having your own generator won't help
either. Many of the new ones are also semiconductor based, and you won't
be able to get gas to run them since the pumps at the gas station are run
by electricity which won't be available. Solar cells are also
semiconductors and the inverters used with them also use semiconductors.
So, if there is a WW3, don't count on ANYTHING electrical working.

Seeing as you brought up WW3, for those of you that may not know it, a
new president singlehandedly advanced the Doomsday Clock by 30 seconds
just last week. Heck of a job!

Yes, precisely why I feel WW3 is a lot closer and more likely than
before. This has nothing to do with my own political party preferences,
or anything else, just the "person" himself (president). However, lets
NOT get into a political discussion on here. Seems like everywhere on
the internet has turned to politics lately. But I still do not feel
safe, with the current state of the world and the current US president.
It seemed a lot safer before, even though the world in general seems a
lot worse than it was in the last few decades.