Posted to sci.electronics.repair
John Keiser[_2_] John Keiser[_2_] is offline

Default Panasonic DVD Recorder DMR-ES20 Long Time to Initialize

I do not have the same unit but a similar experience with a simple LG
DVD player: The player frequently hangs before getting to HELLO,
requiring that I unplug and replug the unit.
I inserted a DVD in the tray and now it initializes fine.
My "guess" is that the CPU looks for a DVD in the tray and, not getting
the expected feedback, hangs.
This is probably a mechanical issue with the DVD mechanism but I was
satisfied with leaving a DVD in the tray to get to HELLO.