Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Panasonic DVD Recorder DMR-ES20 Long Time to Initialize

Hi,

Note: I did electronic service work for many years.
Note: This DVD recorder doesn't use a computer. It has
AV inputs and outputs plus a built in TV type tuner.

My Panasonic DVD Recorder DMR-ES20, when plugged in (AC)
takes a long time to initialize (rolling "o"s) before the flashing "12:00A"
appears. Also, when I turn it on, "Hello" is on for a while (3 to 5
minutes) before I can use the recorder.

I checked every electrolytic capacitor in the power supply, plus some
others (ESR and capacitance test). I replaced a few that were in early
stages of going bad, but that did not fix the problem.

Has anyone fixed this problem (same model with same issue)?

Thank You in advance, John

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Mon, 6 Jun 2016 15:14:33 +0200, Look165 wrote:

I never did that !

But it looks like the memory saving battery dead.

Look165,

Obviously you have not fixed this problem on this model because
there is NO "memory saving battery" in this unit.

I'LL REPEAT MY QUESTION:

a écrit :
Hi,

Note: I did electronic service work for many years.
Note: This DVD recorder doesn't use a computer. It has
AV inputs and outputs plus a built in TV type tuner.

My Panasonic DVD Recorder DMR-ES20, when plugged in (AC)
takes a long time to initialize (rolling "o"s) before the flashing "12:00A"
appears. Also, when I turn it on, "Hello" is on for a while (3 to 5
minutes) before I can use the recorder.

I checked every electrolytic capacitor in the power supply, plus some
others (ESR and capacitance test). I replaced a few that were in early
stages of going bad, but that did not fix the problem.

Has anyone fixed this problem (same model with same issue)?

Thank You in advance, John

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

I do not have the same unit but a similar experience with a simple LG
DVD player: The player frequently hangs before getting to HELLO,
requiring that I unplug and replug the unit.
I inserted a DVD in the tray and now it initializes fine.
My "guess" is that the CPU looks for a DVD in the tray and, not getting
the expected feedback, hangs.
This is probably a mechanical issue with the DVD mechanism but I was
satisfied with leaving a DVD in the tray to get to HELLO.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Wed, 1 Feb 2017, John Keiser wrote:

I do not have the same unit but a similar experience with a simple LG DVD
player: The player frequently hangs before getting to HELLO, requiring that
I unplug and replug the unit.
I inserted a DVD in the tray and now it initializes fine.
My "guess" is that the CPU looks for a DVD in the tray and, not getting
the expected feedback, hangs.
This is probably a mechanical issue with the DVD mechanism but I was
satisfied with leaving a DVD in the tray to get to HELLO.

I suppose we could see software issues, since these are computers.

My blu-ray player can every so often get confused, I don't know if it's
consistent, but if I press the open button at the wrong time, something
seems to jam, and I can't turn it off or do anything, until I unplug it
from the line.

I haven't updated it since I found it, I think there might be an update,
so who knows if it's a software issue that's already been found.

Michael