Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris Bartram[_2_] Chris Bartram[_2_] is offline

Default Pre-pay domestic energy smart meters suitable for holidayletting?

On 28/01/2017 17:10, Clive George wrote:
On 28/01/2017 12:49, wrote:

I gather that if I had smart meters installed, I could top up using a
mobile phone, which sounds more convenient. However, I am thinking of
letting my house out to successive short-term holiday tenants during
the summer, and want the tenants to pay for the gas & electricity they
use. Would switching to smart meters still make sense in this case? Is
it easy to enable the tenant to top up the gas & electricity using
their own phone and bank account - or are there obstacles making this
impractical?

If you're doing holiday lets, include electricity/gas in the price -
it's not worth the hassle of doing anything else. People won't notice a
fiver on the cost of the let, they will notice the arse-ache of having
to feed a meter, coins or digital.

Agreed. I frequently use holiday lettings in the UK and will try to
avoid pre-pay meters because they're a pain in the arse. I'd happily pay
more in the initial cost just to avoid the ****ing about.