Posted to alt.home.repair
Tony944 Tony944 is offline

Default Load capacity of 200-amp panel

wrote in message
Okay I own a tanning salon. I currently have a 200amp box. All the beds run
on 230.
Is it ever possible in any way to run 225 amps of beds at the same time? Can
I put a bigger main breaker box for example? I just need a smidge more amps
and cant really afford or justify changing the entire service over 20-25
more amps. At most I would only be at that 225 max amp draw for 15 mins at a
time etc.
Current Bed configuration:
Bed #1 = 20amp draw
Bed #2 = 20amp draw
Bed #3 = 55amp draw
Bed #4 = 55amp draw
Bed #5 = 20amp draw
Bed #6 = 20amp draw
-----------------------------
Current total amp draw from beds = 190 amp draw
Everything works fine with this configuration but I want to REMOVE a 20amp
draw bed and replace it with a 55amp draw bed, which will make the new amp
draw 225amps at any point where all 6 beds happen to be turned on at the
same time. Just find it hard to believe that my only option would be to have
the city re run a total new service over 25 amps.
Can this be done and if so can it be done safely?

First of all you need to check your supply source flocculation, a voltage if
flocculate and amperage with reliable accurate instruments.
Do not forget that some lamps can use more power then the other,
Incandescent, Florescent, Mercury, ETC. It should not be a much difference
but you should know it sense you are having problems, check with
manufacture. You also have current differences on different beds, you need
to check that all phases are properly load balanced!!!
You have being giving many Ideas and all circuit breakers operate putty
close same unless are design for Motors safety which can be fix time or in
some cases even €śVariable€ť. Fix rating usual load should not exceed more
then 90% of its settings for reliable operation. In any case you should
have fast blow fuses for your lamps individually and not circuit breakers.