Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default Load capacity of 200-amp panel

On Sunday, January 29, 2017 at 3:41:41 PM UTC-5, wrote:
On Sun, 29 Jan 2017 07:23:50 -0800 (PST), wrote:

Okay I own a tanning salon. I currently have a 200amp box. All the beds run on 230.

Is it ever possible in any way to run 225 amps of beds at the same time? Can I put a bigger main breaker box for example? I just need a smidge more amps and cant really afford or justify changing the entire service over 20-25 more amps. At most I would only be at that 225 max amp draw for 15 mins at a time etc.

Current Bed configuration:

Bed #1 = 20amp draw
Bed #2 = 20amp draw
Bed #3 = 55amp draw
Bed #4 = 55amp draw
Bed #5 = 20amp draw
Bed #6 = 20amp draw
Current total amp draw from beds = 190 amp draw

Everything works fine with this configuration but I want to REMOVE a 20amp draw bed and replace it with a 55amp draw bed, which will make the new amp draw 225amps at any point where all 6 beds happen to be turned on at the same time. Just find it hard to believe that my only option would be to have the city re run a total new service over 25 amps.

Can this be done and if so can it be done safely?

You might get away with it if you have no lights or other loads.
Better buy a battery operated clock!!

He could find the make and model of the breaker and look up
it's trip curve.