Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Load capacity of 200-amp panel

On Sun, 29 Jan 2017 11:31:27 -0500, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 1/29/2017 10:23 AM, wrote:

Okay I own a tanning salon. I currently have a 200amp box. All the beds run on 230.

Is it ever possible in any way to run 225 amps of beds at the same time? Can I put a bigger main breaker box for example? I just need a smidge more amps and cant really afford or justify changing the entire service over 20-25 more amps. At most I would only be at that 225 max amp draw for 15 mins at a time etc.

Current Bed configuration:

Bed #1 = 20amp draw
Bed #2 = 20amp draw
Bed #3 = 55amp draw
Bed #4 = 55amp draw
Bed #5 = 20amp draw
Bed #6 = 20amp draw
-----------------------------
Current total amp draw from beds = 190 amp draw

Everything works fine with this configuration but I want to REMOVE a 20amp draw bed and replace it with a 55amp draw bed, which will make the new amp draw 225amps at any point where all 6 beds happen to be turned on at the same time. Just find it hard to believe that my only option would be to have the city re run a total new service over 25 amps.

Can this be done and if so can it be done safely?

I find it hard to believe too. The city does not do that stuff, the
electric company does. Or you do, depending on what has to be replaced.

That depends - in some areas the city IS the power company. (or at
least owns it)

If you don't want to upgrade, there are work-arounds. the first step is
to check your fire insurance coverage. Get business interruption
insurance too. Check fire exits for the safety of your customers
running out from those beds too. Tell them to keep a robe at hand in
case of evacuation. Oh, unless you have a stand alone building check
what liability you have if the neighbors burn too.

Can you put in a bigger main breaker? That is determined by the wire
size feeding the panel and the rating of the panel.

In commercial buildings often the feed can handle a much larger panel
- and occaisionally a panel can handle a bigger breaker - but you
cannot legally install a larger breaker than the panel is rated for,
even if it will physically fit.

You really need an evaluation by an electrician to see what real draw is
and what potential you have.

I find it a bit surprising that people still expose themselves to
potential side affects from tanning. Do you refer the customers to a
cancer doctor for their melanoma?