Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_7_] Leon[_7_] is offline

Default wobble dado

On 1/28/2017 10:50 AM, wrote:
Snip\

You're also cutting in the "right" direction on both sides of the
dado, and hogging out less material. The up-cutter is well worth the
money. The solid carbide cutters last forever.

I have found that an end mill up cut bit lasts far longer than any
carbide bit I have used.

FWIW I use to make mouth blocks for Steve Knight about 15 years ago.

In, approximately 2"x4"x 1/2", pieces of Ipe I was plunge cutting slots
about 1.5" long by 3/8" wide in pairs, on each block. I would make
approximately 400 slots in 200 Blocks per batch.

Ipe is extremely hard and tough on cutters. About 2.5 times harder than
oak.

The carbide bits were chipped and just about toast at the end of one of
those runs.

I switched to an end mill bit after about 3 batches and going through 3
carbide bits and never had to replace that bit.

Something to think about, and end mill bits are relatively inexpensive
compared to carbide bits.