Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] bldaz10@outlook.com is offline

Default How to remove pool drain cover 9 feet under water to check for aclogged pipe?

On Wednesday, August 31, 2011 at 8:35:12 AM UTC-7, wrote:
On Tue, 30 Aug 2011 21:24:50 -0700, SF Man wrote:

My pool drain is 9 feet underwater - and - I think it's clogged because the
pump runs dry every time I switch from both the spa & pool or just the spa,
to the pool only.

The drain cover has screws on top - but - it's 9 feet under (due to the
nature of the self-cleaning pool).

I long lost (20 years ago) my PADI scuba diving certification card (I
wonder if we can get a new one sent?) and I don't have tanks (although I
could buy them on Craigslist) and a regulator ...

So, I wonder, sans scuba equipment, how do you guy normally service your
deep drains to see what's clogging them up?

It's probably not clogged but broken. You're likely sucking air.

When I had a pool, I did patches without any tanks. The only issue was
buoyancy. At the deep end, I had SWMBO hold me down with the sweep. Trusting,
huh. ;-) ...though something clogging the bottom drain is *very* unlikely.
It has a cover, no?

She Who Must Be Obeyed? whaaaaaat?