Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Got the injector working

wrote in message
On Wed, 25 Jan 2017 18:41:23 -0500, Bob Engelhardt
wrote:

On 1/24/2017 6:13 PM, wrote:
In any case I don't think it's a good idea to have the lube
exposed to
the shop air, even though it's filtered, because there will always
be
a little moisture in the air. ...

Would it make that much difference? Would it make any difference?
How
much moisture could be absorbed from the air? There is probably a
well
known answer, except to me.

I don't know if direct contact with humid air will cause any
problems
over time. Maybe not. But since I am building the thing from scratch
thought I would save time and do it now. The reservoir can be any
shape so why not make it round and drop a piston in between the oil
and the air? With my present system the oil is exposed to air and
one
type of oil did thicken over time. I don't know if it was because of
exposure to moisture. The oil is vegetable based, proprietary, and
the
outfit selling it wouldn't say whether moisture could be a problem.
am now going to be using a different brand of MQL lube and I just
want
as many problems as possible worked out ahead of time. I am having
fun
figuring out how to make the new applicator system. Help from people
here has been, well, very helpful. And as a bonus it's all
metalworking related.
Eric

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rancidification
"Akin to rancidification, oxidative degradation also occurs in other
hydrocarbons, e.g. lubricating oils, fuels, and mechanical cutting
fluids."