Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Double ended adjustable wrenches. What for?

On Wed, 25 Jan 2017 17:31:02 -0500, Jeff Wisnia
wrote:

David R. Birch wrote:
On 1/22/2017 1:41 PM, Jeff Wisnia wrote:

Until recently I'd never known that double ended adjustable wrenches
existed and are now collectors items.

I suppose there are jobs where being able to tighten or loosen two
different size bolt heads or nuts to get the job over with exist. and a
double ended adjustable wrench made your tool bag lighter than carrying
two separate wrenches.

(Don't bother telling me that one end is for English and the other for
metric, I've heard that one already.)

See a double ended adjustable wrench made by Crescent Tool Company he

http://alloy-artifacts.org/crescent-...l#early-adjust

That site http://alloy-artifacts.org/ has a lot of interesting tools
on it.

Jeff

Obviously one end is for inch sizes and the other is metric!

David

And just as obviously you didn't read my post very well did you?

Jeff

Maybe one end is for Whitworth? I spoke with my neighbor, who has used
every type of wrench I have ever heard of, and many I haven't, about
this type of wrench. He knew exactly what they were, had used them in
the past, and they weren't considered a gimmick at the places he used
them. One wrench he used had big end and a smaller end while another
just had thinner jaws on one end. That one had jaw openings similar
to what an 8 inch wrench would have but was about 11 inches long.
Eric