Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Double ended adjustable wrenches. What for?

Until recently I'd never known that double ended adjustable wrenches
existed and are now collectors items.

I suppose there are jobs where being able to tighten or loosen two
different size bolt heads or nuts to get the job over with exist. and a
double ended adjustable wrench made your tool bag lighter than carrying
two separate wrenches.

(Don't bother telling me that one end is for English and the other for
metric, I've heard that one already.)

See a double ended adjustable wrench made by Crescent Tool Company he

http://alloy-artifacts.org/crescent-...l#early-adjust

That site http://alloy-artifacts.org/ has a lot of interesting tools on it.

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Jeff Wisnia wrote:

Until recently I'd never known that double ended adjustable wrenches
existed and are now collectors items.

See a double ended adjustable wrench made by Crescent Tool Company he

http://alloy-artifacts.org/crescent-...l#early-adjust

Sure that isn't a fake/joke?

--

"I'm a doctor, not a mechanic." Dr Leonard McCoy
"I'm a mechanic, not a doctor." Volker Borchert
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sunday, January 22, 2017 at 7:01:50 PM UTC-5, Volker Borchert wrote:
Jeff Wisnia wrote:

Until recently I'd never known that double ended adjustable wrenches
existed and are now collectors items.

See a double ended adjustable wrench made by Crescent Tool Company he

http://alloy-artifacts.org/crescent-...l#early-adjust

Sure that isn't a fake/joke?

One end is smaller and thinner, possibly for places where the other end won't fit.

John

--

"I'm a doctor, not a mechanic." Dr Leonard McCoy
"I'm a mechanic, not a doctor." Volker Borchert

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I have one that my father gave to me. It was most likely from the 30's.
I think they were not much more than gimmicks.

CP

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Think of working on nuts and bolts. One might have two or more sizes to
get a couch out of a wood crate or any thing you might come up with.

Consider the 'two drill chuck' drill - drill and screw or drill and
countersink....

Same sort of thing.

Martin

On 1/22/2017 1:41 PM, Jeff Wisnia wrote:

Until recently I'd never known that double ended adjustable wrenches
existed and are now collectors items.

I suppose there are jobs where being able to tighten or loosen two
different size bolt heads or nuts to get the job over with exist. and a
double ended adjustable wrench made your tool bag lighter than carrying
two separate wrenches.

(Don't bother telling me that one end is for English and the other for
metric, I've heard that one already.)

See a double ended adjustable wrench made by Crescent Tool Company he

http://alloy-artifacts.org/crescent-...l#early-adjust

That site http://alloy-artifacts.org/ has a lot of interesting tools on it.

Jeff

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 22 Jan 2017 23:52:12 GMT, (Volker
Borchert) wrote:

Jeff Wisnia wrote:

Until recently I'd never known that double ended adjustable wrenches
existed and are now collectors items.

See a double ended adjustable wrench made by Crescent Tool Company he

http://alloy-artifacts.org/crescent-...l#early-adjust

Sure that isn't a fake/joke?

I think it's probably real. The ones I like are the ironworker's spud
wrench, with the tapered end to line up I-beam brackets for bolting.
https://www.amazon.com/Hawk-BAWS-Adj.../dp/B005LVVHDC

--
There is s no such thing as a hyphenated American who is
a good American.* The only man who is a good American is
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Borchert) wrote:

Jeff Wisnia wrote:
Until recently I'd never known that double ended adjustable wrenches
existed and are now collectors items.

See a double ended adjustable wrench made by Crescent Tool Company he

http://alloy-artifacts.org/crescent-...l#early-adjust
Sure that isn't a fake/joke?

I think it's probably real. The ones I like are the ironworker's spud
wrench, with the tapered end to line up I-beam brackets for bolting.
https://www.amazon.com/Hawk-BAWS-Adj.../dp/B005LVVHDC

They are real and still being sold. It was in Tractor Supply I believe
that I saw one just a couple weeks ago. Length wise it was about the
same as an 11" but had a smaller set of jaws on the opposite end.

--
Steve W.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article ,
Jeff Wisnia wrote:

Until recently I'd never known that double ended adjustable wrenches
existed and are now collectors items.

I suppose there are jobs where being able to tighten or loosen two
different size bolt heads or nuts to get the job over with exist. and a
double ended adjustable wrench made your tool bag lighter than carrying
two separate wrenches.

(Don't bother telling me that one end is for English and the other for
metric, I've heard that one already.)

One side is for left handed threads.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2017-01-23, Martin Eastburn wrote:
Think of working on nuts and bolts. One might have two or more sizes to
get a couch out of a wood crate or any thing you might come up with.

Consider the 'two drill chuck' drill - drill and screw or drill and
countersink....

Same sort of thing.

How about the combination drill and tap versions? Really
convenient for through holes with a tapping head in a drill press.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 1/22/2017 1:41 PM, Jeff Wisnia wrote:

Until recently I'd never known that double ended adjustable wrenches
existed and are now collectors items.

I suppose there are jobs where being able to tighten or loosen two
different size bolt heads or nuts to get the job over with exist. and a
double ended adjustable wrench made your tool bag lighter than carrying
two separate wrenches.

(Don't bother telling me that one end is for English and the other for
metric, I've heard that one already.)

See a double ended adjustable wrench made by Crescent Tool Company he

http://alloy-artifacts.org/crescent-...l#early-adjust

That site http://alloy-artifacts.org/ has a lot of interesting tools on it.

Jeff

Obviously one end is for inch sizes and the other is metric!

David

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

David R. Birch wrote:
On 1/22/2017 1:41 PM, Jeff Wisnia wrote:

Until recently I'd never known that double ended adjustable wrenches
existed and are now collectors items.

I suppose there are jobs where being able to tighten or loosen two
different size bolt heads or nuts to get the job over with exist. and a
double ended adjustable wrench made your tool bag lighter than carrying
two separate wrenches.

(Don't bother telling me that one end is for English and the other for
metric, I've heard that one already.)

See a double ended adjustable wrench made by Crescent Tool Company he

http://alloy-artifacts.org/crescent-...l#early-adjust

That site http://alloy-artifacts.org/ has a lot of interesting tools
on it.

Jeff

Obviously one end is for inch sizes and the other is metric!

David

And just as obviously you didn't read my post very well did you?

Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 25 Jan 2017 17:31:02 -0500, Jeff Wisnia
wrote:

David R. Birch wrote:
[...]

Maybe one end is for Whitworth? I spoke with my neighbor, who has used
every type of wrench I have ever heard of, and many I haven't, about
this type of wrench. He knew exactly what they were, had used them in
the past, and they weren't considered a gimmick at the places he used
them. One wrench he used had big end and a smaller end while another
just had thinner jaws on one end. That one had jaw openings similar
to what an 8 inch wrench would have but was about 11 inches long.
Eric

Large double ended wood screws Andrew Mawson UK diy 25 March 20th 18 05:00 PM
Those thick-azzed double open end wrenches.... Existential Angst[_2_] Metalworking 2 November 5th 12 05:19 AM
1900x800 (or 750) double ended acryllic/plastic bath? RobertL UK diy 6 April 27th 09 01:00 PM
Double ended fixings Mark A UK diy 11 January 20th 07 02:10 AM
Special double ended drill bits [email protected] Home Repair 5 February 17th 06 01:04 AM