Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_7_] Leon[_7_] is offline

Default wobble dado

On 1/24/2017 10:49 PM, Martin Eastburn wrote:
I worry about the .001 shy of being 1mm. Hum

Martin

Maybe only if you are building "space craft" ;~)

On 1/24/2017 8:44 AM, Leon wrote:
On 1/23/2017 10:16 PM, Martin Eastburn wrote:
That Freud set is likely the dual set to have fine sets like that.
It is likely an expensive set as well. Not the old imperial sets that
are moving in 1/8 or 1/4".

The wobble is tough on a saw and a pain to use but is universal. I used
mine on 4x4 benches. When working on Metric Ply I got a nice Freud set
likely like yours - about 6 or so years ago - sounds like they have
small and large sets that are universal now.

Martin

FWIW, I use the Forrest Dado King Imperial 8" set.

As stated by Forrest it will cut,

CUTS "ALL" SIZED GROOVES 1/4" through 29/32", in 1/32" increments.

The shim set that comes with it includes,
2-.010"
2-.012"
2-.015"

Two .012" and One .015" shims are .001" shy of being 1mm.

All shims together add up to just over 1-7/8mm or .074"

The shims are to handle stock that is not exactly an increment of 1/32"

Any size grove/dado, metric or imperial, can be cut with this dado set
assuming you are cutting between 1/4" and 29/32"

This is how decent dado sets have been made for at least 40 years.