Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default HiFi (OT)

On Tuesday, 24 January 2017 13:04:51 UTC, AnthonyL wrote:

My turntable is a Dual 1228 (c1974) with a Dynavector 20A cartridge.
I've got a Stanton cartridge but don't recall why I swapped it out.

I remember a couple of Stanton models being not that great sound wise, just robust enough for djing.

I'm in the midst of a slow processing of digitising all my analogue
and CDs. So far I've done all the reel to reel, cassettes and some
CDs. When I say "done" they are Audacity projects and not fully
labelled or output.

When audacity changes version you may find none of your hard work is accessible any more. DAMHIKT.

I have a USB sound card which is attached to the line out on the
amplifier, so anything that I play I can capture.

I've not done any vinyl yet. I suspect that I'll need to wash quite a
few of them.

I'm told PVA works

I haven't seen anyone comment on the USB sound card approach other
than to suggest 44,1kHz isn't enough. I'm in my 70th year so I doubt
than anything lost will be noticeable.

There seems to be a problem with Audacity outputting to AAC in that
the Artist tag goes missing which doesn't happen with mp3. I don't
think I can justify wav but I'll be keeping the Audacity project file
anyway.

Another issue I've noted is that the last track on some CDs goes
beyond the end of the music to the end of the disk giving me a big
file with much silence. Not sure if this is a CD problem or ripping
software problem.

Tips and comments welcomed.

Digitising takes too long. It's far quicker to just repair the metallised bit on the 8 track.

NT