Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] sushicinti@gmail.com is offline

Default gas fireplace won't start-up - pilot is lit

The pilot light stays lit but no flame. I just replaced the thermopile and still have the same problem. I did as you suggested and jumped the TH & TH-TP with a paper clip, I did not get a flame, please advise, thanks

On Thursday, December 25, 2008 at 7:49:09 AM UTC-5, Tom Lachance wrote:
wrote:
Hello all -

first post on this forum, so please excuse any newbie errors...

I have a gas fireplace at home that I haven't used in a couple of
years. I had turned the pilot off after I used it last. I tried to
start it back up yesterday, and the pilot started right up. I have a
wall switch that controls the gas flow and turns the fireplace on.
When I try to flip the switch to turn the fireplace on, it does
nothing 9 times out of 10. Occassionally the flames will come and
stay lit for a couple of minutes before going out again, and then
nothing. I don't smell any gas when the fireplace switch is on but
the flame isn't present. Not sure where to look to try and debug this
issue... any helpful pointers would be greatly appreciated!

Merry Christmas!

First of all, need to know what kind of "fireplace" it is:
1. Direct vent or natural vent
2. Free standing, zero clearance or masonry insert
3. Vented or unvented gas log.
4. ODS or thermocouple/thermopile
The above combinations can be used in a number of ways.

Thermocouple/thermopile assemblies have 2 separate circuits powered by
the their respective devices.
Thermocouple = 20 millivolts (+/-)
Thermopile = 750 millivolts (+/-)
If the pilot lights and stays lit, the problem isn't with the pilot circuit.
If the main burner doesn't light, the problem is in the main burner circuit.
Some units have more than 1 switch controlling them.
The supplied switches on the units are notoriously unreliable.
The gas valve generally has connections for the main burner labeled TH,
TP, and TH/TP. The main burner is operated by a switch that makes a
circuit between the TH and TH/TP connections.
Is there a remote installed on the fireplace? If so, there is usually a
switch on it labeled on/remote/ off. If you move the switch to on and
the main burner lights, check the batteries in both the remote and the
receiver. If it doesn't light, check the other switches/controls
connected to the above connections.

The above procedure assumes the control valve is in the "ON" position
and not in "PILOT".