Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_7_] Leon[_7_] is offline

Default TS Circuit -- Part 2

On 1/21/2017 2:02 PM, dpb wrote:
On 01/21/2017 9:35 AM, Leon wrote:

They all will last, regardless of brand, if you continue to repair what
breaks.

I guess I've just been lucky...we've had nothing but Chevy on the
farmstead since grandfather's first truck (1928) and have never had any
major engine or transmission repairs on any that I can recall since
being old enough to know most of what happened since the late-50s/early
60s. That'd include something like 20+ pick'em ups and a dozen or so
medium and heavy duty bobtails.

Personally, I've had almost exclusively GM automobiles and with only the
single exception of one '84 Olds, I've never had a _major_ repair on any
of them, either. It had a newly-released transmission that failed
early, but was warranty replacement and the subsequent went the
remaining 130K or so put on it.

Folks drove Buick exclusively from 1960 on and there also recall only
one that ever had any real issues with...one, don't recall the year but
many years ago, long before the 3.8L cross-mount FWD, would lose the
water pump after long road trips. Never failed until after returned and
it had gone back to normal just daily to/from town trips but seemed like
every time after a really long trip sequence it'd go out. Dad finally
got made and traded it; the shop mechanic bought it and replaced the
pump "one more time" and ended up driving it for years and years and
never replaced it again...

Anyways, I'm pretty much happy w/ GM...not enough trouble over 60 yr or
so to give me any pause whatsoever. Altho I don't like all the gadgetry
on them or anything new that's not vendor-specific.

No reason to switch brands if you are happy. It delivers what you have
come to expect. And like I mentioned I was GM guy and retired after
selling and servicing GM products for 20+ years. I really got tired of
the politics of dealing with the factory and angry customers coming back
to have the same thing repaired over and over. I first switched to
Isuzu, a brand that we sold, and it was equal to GM in reliability.
Then I/we went to Acura, Honda, and finally Toyota. Higher in price but
very dependable and trouble free compared to the vehicles we have had in
the past.