Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_7_] Leon[_7_] is offline

Default wobble dado

On 1/20/2017 11:53 AM, wrote:
On Fri, 20 Jan 2017 13:31:41 -0000 (UTC), Doug Miller
wrote:

-MIKE- wrote in news
[...]

Maybe one day I'll spend the cash for an excellent set of dado blade
that do, in fact, produce a perfectly straight and square bottom withOUT
bat ears and I won't feel the need to clean the cut up with the router.

Check out the Northwoods Dado-Master from Ridge Carbide Tools
http://ridgecarbidetool.com/dado-set...do-master.html

I've had mine for about 15 years now, and have been completely satisfied with it. I bought it
at the Woodworking Show when both Forrest and Ridge were exhibiting, and compared
test cuts from the two side-by-side. I couldn't see any point in the Forrest Dado King: why
pay more money for lesser results? The Ridge dado set is two-thirds the price of the
Forrest, and gives better cuts. The bottom is dead flat, and the bat ears are almost
imperceptible without a magnifying glass, whereas the Forrest leaves tiny but still readily
visible bat ears.

The bat ears are intentional (glue recess), no?

I doubt it, I almost always have some degree of squeeze out that the bat
ears can not handle. BUT the bat ears are really only visible if you
are looking for them and sometimes not even then.
I do a LOT of cutting with my Forrest dado set and it still cuts
extremely well after 12 years and thousands of feet of groves, dados,
and rabbet joints.