Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Howard Beel Howard Beel is offline

Default Rising machine tool prices

"Jim Wilkins" wrote in message
news

I try to restrict my discussions to price-sensitive home hobbyist
equipment instead of the larger industrial stuff that would do the job
easily, if you have the need, money to invest and space to store it. I
like my 10" South Bend lathe very much, spent the morning on it, but
wouldn't send a newbie out searching for one.

I do have a plasma cutter and a bandsaw that can cut thicker steel to
eyeball tolerance, and if the better accuracy is worth the cost could use
the Maker Space's plasma cutter or have a shop do it.

Bending steel plate is a bigger problem unless I pay for fab shop time.
The 30" 3-in-1 shear/brake/roller can barely manage its rated capacity.

-jsw

I agree price is always a consideration. I bought a lot of industrial
equiptment on ebay back in days when sellers were individuals
and the prices were right. Now it seems that ebay has been taken
over by dealers and resellers. I see the same equiptment relisted
over and over at retail prices. Sometimes i get lucky and come
accross a undervalued buy it now. Most of the time i buy things
from pawn shops or thrift stores, usually when they don't what
they have and underprice an item. At the moment i am out of
room and plan on building a bigger shop. I rent some space
to store things i rarley use.

When i need to bend heavy plate i do it in a 50 ton hydraulic
press. I made my own dies and punches out of 4140. For
round and square holes i use the stripit or unipunch holders.

Best Regards
Tom.