Posted to uk.d-i-y
RJH[_2_] RJH[_2_] is offline

Default HiFi (OT)

On 19/01/2017 06:16, wrote:
On Thursday, 19 January 2017 04:43:41 UTC, Andy Burns wrote:
dennis@home wrote:

I wonder if it would work sat directly on top of a big stepper motor.

You still have a physical connection between your motor and turntable? A
bit old hat, isn't it :-P

https://maglevaudio.com

Seems to wobble when the platter is nudged - in a completely undamped
way (at about 30s of the 'How it Works' vid). Apart from arm
resonance/stylus vibration, I'd have thought movement in the plinth
would transfer to the platter?

I don't think belt drive has ever been bettered. Some would disagree, direct drive gives more constant speed, but the variations of a competently executed belt drive are below human detection.

I'm very susceptible to speed variation - I can hear the wow of
sustained piano note in virtually any belt drive turntable for example.
A top end Ariston was one of the few that 'worked' for me. I find
un-Lingo'd Linns very hard to listen to.

I use a Technics DD turntable nowadays - although I don't listen to
vinyl that much.

--
Cheers, Rob