Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default HiFi (OT)

In article ,
pamela wrote:
On 15:37 18 Jan 2017, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

In article ,
pamela wrote:
Yes. It's something many choose to ignore. You almost never
hear the master tape as it left the studio. That goes through
a different mastering process for vinyl and CD and maybe even
for downloads. And most you hear via a broadcast has been
processed too.

Not forgetting radio edits and DJ mixes.

I guess these versions are mostly out of the control of the
artist.

Yes - the mastering process usually is. Hence the rather
frequent common from some artists that 'it didn't sound like
that in the studio'.

You sound as if you speak from hearing that at first hand. Did
you work in music recording at some time?

I worked in TV production sound all my life. So only had limited direct
experience of the commercial recording industry. But did have plenty of
experience in our very nice 24 track studio recording music for TV use.

--
*The more people I meet, the more I like my dog.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.