Posted to uk.d-i-y
bm[_2_] bm[_2_] is offline

Default HiFi (OT)

"pamela" wrote in message
On 08:49 18 Jan 2017, dennis@home wrote:

Nope. The problem with digital MP3 is not the sample rate, its
the digital compression that is applied.

Its not lossless.

Well people don't knowwhat MP3 stands for. Its MPEG layer 3
audio. It was always lossy and designed to fit videos onto CDs
and DVDs not for hifi. They soon dropped it when bluray arrived
and went for master audio which is uncompressed.

I don't mind the trade off between the size of an MP3 file and
quality.

I seem to recall a 128kps MP3 is about a tenth of the size of a
WAV/PCM and the sound isn't quite as awful as some people suggest.

As storage gets cheaper file size will be less important but at
the moment I baulk at storing FLAC files on a portable device.

Absolutely, I really only listen to music in the car, mp3 is even too good
for that