Posted to uk.d-i-y
charles charles is offline

Default HiFi (OT)

In article ,
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Huge wrote:
In article ,
On 2017-01-17, Clive George wrote:
On 17/01/2017 15:38, Tim Watts wrote:

It makes me laugh when I see the vinyl record hipster stores -
because half the people buying vinyl probably have a POS toy
turntable with a cheap ceramic cartridge, unbalanced turntable with
all the wow and flutter possible, unbalanced arm and rubbish
pre-amp.

I dunno - IME people who can be arsed with vinyl also tend to be
arsed about getting a decent amp/turntable/speakers.

[FX]Waves

I reckon the market is split: people who will go out and buy a
half-decent turntable etc (or better), and the ones doing it for
fashion..

I'm still using the turntable I bought 40 years ago.

Likewise. A Thorens TD150. But nearer 50 years ago here.

Same model.

Brings back memories. I didn't buy it new myself, although it was new.

Came from a deceased estate sale.

A complete Quad II stereo setup including AM tuner, a Garrard 301 with
Decca pickup, and a pair of Tannoy GRF speakers. The Quads. etc in a
cabinet. Included were a near new Revox A77 and the Thorens TD150, SME arm
and Decca cartridge. Those being unused, waiting to be fitted.

All for 300 quid in the late '60s. The estate valuer had got things rather
wrong IMHO.

That's about the time I got my second-Hand A77 Mk1 for £180.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England