Posted to rec.woodworking

Default will they stand behind the tools still

On Sun, 15 Jan 2017 21:40:22 -0600, Unquestionably Confused
wrote:

On 1/15/2017 9:33 PM, Leon wrote:
On 1/15/2017 7:16 PM, Larry Blanchard wrote:
On Sun, 15 Jan 2017 17:48:10 -0600, Leon wrote:

It all has to do with the details of what they buy but unless the
company simply disappears some one is still going to be liable to uphold
the warranty.

I don't think that's necessarily true, Leon. As someone said, it depends
on the terms of the sale. I do remember reading about one or two
corporate sales where the seller kept the responsibility for old
warranties but I don't remember the details.

Absolutely and I'm sorry if I did not make that clear. Arbitrarily the
new owner cannot just decide to stop honoring the warranty, it will be
governed by the terms of the agreement/sale. The new owner may or may
not have to honor the new warranty depending on the agreement. That
will/was decided before the sale.

If their, the new owners, acquisition does not require them to honor the
warranty, I suspect that Sears will have to continue to honor the
warranties up to that point.

Sort of like a bank being sold and the banking company selling the bank
saying the new owners don't have to pay the former bank's depositors? LOL!

It's one thing when a company goes under, another thing entirely when a
company sells it's interests. The purchasing company also assumes, by
law, the liabilities and debts of that company and the warranty would be
one such debt or liability.

Depends what the new company buys. If they buy the company, they buy
everything. If they buy just the name, or just named assets, they do
not.
They can also buy all assets and liabilities.

The computer manufacturer I formerly worked for went broke, and a
distributor bought all assetts and liabilities for $1, but technically
did NOT buy the corporation.