Posted to rec.woodworking

Default will they stand behind the tools still

On Sun, 15 Jan 2017 21:35:15 -0600, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
wrote:

On 1/15/2017 8:46 PM, wrote:
On Sun, 15 Jan 2017 17:48:10 -0600, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
wrote:

On 1/15/2017 5:12 PM, Bill wrote:
Leon wrote:
On 1/15/2017 3:20 PM, Bill wrote:
Electric Comet wrote:
birds of a feather flock together so now craftsman stanley and black
decker will all become equally crappy

but i wonder if the craftsman tools with lifetime guarantee will still
be honored or will they just throw that out and go for complete
mediocrity

If you just spent 900 million on the company, what would you do?

What you paid for a company has nothing to do with whether you honor
old guarantees/warranties or not.

You may or may not be obligated to honor those warranties.

You are simply the new owner of the company, the company still has
legal obligations.

How do you think that the shareholders of S felt after the bankruptcy
and reorganization?
I would suppose that any legal liability for old tools would have ended
there. The new owner may feel it is in there best interest to maintain
the warranties, but they may also not. My point was that as the new
owner, I think you get to "call the tune", especially on a tools sold
before the reorganization--which represents almost "pure liability" to
you (I am not a lawyer). How about those folks who collect old tools
and turn them in for new ones? They are angle shooters, and, IMO,
everyone deserves protection from people who would seek to profit from
"loopholes" (that are "out of the spirit" of the warranty). S and SHLD
have both treated them more charitably than I would have...

It all has to do with the details of what they buy but unless the
company simply disappears some one is still going to be liable to uphold
the warranty.
As far as people taking advantage of the warranty, Craftsman could
simply ask for proof of purchase or a copy of the warranty that they
received.

Except they cannot unilaterally change the requirements for the
warranty, and no "copy of the warranty" was recieved wit the tools at
purchace, other than "lifetime warranty" on the packaging - which I,
for one, have not kept for 48 years over numerous moves and life
changes

Exactly, that would be their out. But I have photo copied packaging
showing the warranty in the even that this comes up. Much easier to do
now than in the past.

Virtually impossible in 1968/69.