Posted to rec.woodworking
Unquestionably Confused Unquestionably Confused is offline

Default will they stand behind the tools still

On 1/15/2017 9:33 PM, Leon wrote:
On 1/15/2017 7:16 PM, Larry Blanchard wrote:
On Sun, 15 Jan 2017 17:48:10 -0600, Leon wrote:

It all has to do with the details of what they buy but unless the
company simply disappears some one is still going to be liable to uphold
the warranty.

I don't think that's necessarily true, Leon. As someone said, it depends
on the terms of the sale. I do remember reading about one or two
corporate sales where the seller kept the responsibility for old
warranties but I don't remember the details.

Absolutely and I'm sorry if I did not make that clear. Arbitrarily the
new owner cannot just decide to stop honoring the warranty, it will be
governed by the terms of the agreement/sale. The new owner may or may
not have to honor the new warranty depending on the agreement. That
will/was decided before the sale.

If their, the new owners, acquisition does not require them to honor the
warranty, I suspect that Sears will have to continue to honor the
warranties up to that point.

Sort of like a bank being sold and the banking company selling the bank
saying the new owners don't have to pay the former bank's depositors? LOL!

It's one thing when a company goes under, another thing entirely when a
company sells it's interests. The purchasing company also assumes, by
law, the liabilities and debts of that company and the warranty would be
one such debt or liability.