Posted to alt.home.repair
James Wilkinson Sword[_4_] James Wilkinson Sword[_4_] is offline

Default How many appliances should be on one breaker?

On Sat, 14 Jan 2017 16:01:37 -0000, wrote:

On Fri, 13 Jan 2017 20:32:34 -0000, "James Wilkinson Sword"
wrote:

On Fri, 13 Jan 2017 19:53:48 -0000, trader_4 wrote:

On Friday, January 13, 2017 at 2:01:02 PM UTC-5, James Wilkinson Sword wrote:
On Fri, 13 Jan 2017 01:40:22 -0000, wrote:

On Thu, 12 Jan 2017 23:16:47 -0000, "James Wilkinson Sword"
wrote:

Aren't the outlets also protected at 10a?

No, but the plug itself on each appliance has a fuse from 1A to 13A depending on the appliance.

That is actually not a bad idea.

It's an obvious idea, don't your plugs have fuses yet? You can plug anything into an outlet, if it's a 13A outlet, your 0.5A table lamp doesn't have its cord protected against fire from a short.

If it's a decent short, it will greatly exceed the breaker rating
and trip instantly. If it's a short just right to consume a lot
of the current on the circuit but not trip it, eg a 12A short on
a 15A circuit, then you have that potential with all the wiring anyway
and we live with it and it does not appear to be a major cause of
fires. We also require arc fault breakers on many circuits now,
eg those in the living areas.

What are you talking about? A 1A cord may only take 10 amps through it during a short, and catch fire. Yet the 15A breaker won't trip.

If you have a cord less than the "fixture wire" standard (18ga) we do
require a fuse in the plug. An example is those cheap asian made
Christmas lights.

The simplest thing to do is to fuse the appliance at its rating.

--
"I was walking down fifth avenue today and I found a wallet, and I was gonna keep it, rather than return it, but I thought: well, if I lost a hundred and fifty dollars, how would I feel? And I realized I would want to be taught a lesson."
-- Emo Philips