Posted to uk.d-i-y
James Wilkinson Sword[_4_] James Wilkinson Sword[_4_] is offline

Default Automatic windscreen wipers and frost

On Fri, 13 Jan 2017 19:24:49 -0000, Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:

James Wilkinson Sword wrote:
On Fri, 13 Jan 2017 18:40:39 -0000, Mr Pounder Esquire
wrote:
James Wilkinson Sword wrote:
On Fri, 13 Jan 2017 18:20:12 -0000, Mr Pounder Esquire
wrote:
James Wilkinson Sword wrote:
On Fri, 13 Jan 2017 13:27:19 -0000, Bod
wrote:
On 13/01/2017 11:48, NY wrote:
news On 13/01/17 08:49, NY wrote:
"The Natural Philosopher" wrote in
message news Why tepid? I run the hottest water I can from the hot tap
and fling it liberally on to the screen. Been doing it for
oodles of years with no problems.

Tim

I pour a just boiled kettle on it

Thermal shock of boiling water on glass that is at around zero
degrees.

yes. helps get the ice off

Don't want to crack my windscreen. Also, I'm not sure whether
the rubber of the wiper blades and the surround to the
windscreen (between glass and car body) would withstand
boiling water.

I can assure you they all can*, but the water is down at around
20 degrees by the time it reaches them.

*black metal easily reaches 100 degrees in tropical sun.

Ah, maybe I'm being over-cautious, then. What about water at 100
meeting glass at around 0 - isn't there a risk of the glass
cracking? I've heard of people that it has happened to in this
situation.

Probably best to play safe and wait about 30 secs after the
kettle has boiled. by the time you get outside it should be well
off of boiling.

Probably 90. I prefer to boil half a kettle, then fill it up from
the cold tap. That makes the glass plenty warm enough to stay
unfrozen until you've got the car going.

You could always fill the kettle from the hot water tap. Oh, hang
on!!!!!!!!!!

A decent kettle boils in a minute or so.

Of course the "logical" way is to cover the windscreen up. This is
logical Mr Hucker.
I got two windscreen covers from Aldi three years ago. One for the
back, one for the front. £1.99 each.
They take seconds to put on and work very well.

But you have to know it's going to be frosty the next day.

Google is your fiend.

We cannot predict the future. Anyway, a kettle is less hassle on the
few days that need it.

We can forecast frost with a lot of accuracy.
Most days this time of year will be frosty in Jockland, as you well know.

Actually, my car has had a frosted windscreen only once this winter.

The covers only take seconds to put on and take off.

Not much longer for a kettle, and no forward planning necessary.

--
Her voice had that tense grating quality, like a first-generation thermal paper fax machine that needed a band tightened.