Posted to uk.d-i-y
Davey Davey is offline

Default Yet more Smart Meters

On Wed, 11 Jan 2017 18:50:56 +0000
dennis@home wrote:

On 11/01/2017 15:12, Davey wrote:
On Wed, 11 Jan 2017 14:58:23 +0000
Bill wrote:

When I was first offered a water meter years ago, I rang NW Water
and asked whether I would be able to read it myself. They didn't
seem to understand the question and I never heard from them
again.

This company, Affinity Water, shows a meter in the bumph which has a
readable display. There is no guarantee that that is the meter which
will be installed, of course.
Due to the afore-mentioned installation puzzle, it will be
interesting to find out if it even visible, let alone readable.

Water meter that can be remotely read are common.
There is a cable to a plastic dome somewhere on the outside of the
building and they can read it from there.
Flats often have a bank of such terminations so that all the meters
can be rad in one place.
They sometimes fit that type of meter in the road, its why there is a
plastic cap in the centre of the covers in the pavement.

But six hours ago I posted in this thread:
'but it does say that it will use Automatic Meter Reading Technology,
"allowing the company to read the meter by just driving past the
property".'

--
Davey.