Posted to uk.d-i-y
F[_2_] F[_2_] is offline

Default Yet more Smart Meters

On 11/01/2017 12:27, Davey wrote:
On Wed, 11 Jan 2017 12:15:24 +0000
Andy Burns wrote:

Davey wrote:

I read here some weeks ago that the installation of a Smart Meter
was not mandatory, but I have just received a notice about the
impending installation of a water meter in Essex.

Is it a water meter, or a smart water meter?

A few years ago Severn Trent had a division producing smart water
meters. By the time I got smart gas/elec meters and was interested
to know if they could fit a smart water meter, they'd flogged that
division off, and I think the main company became USA based, and now
we just have S****er in the UK and the consumer division doesn't have
the option of installing one.

It doesn't use the term 'Smart', but it does say that it will use
Automatic Meter Reading Technology, "allowing the company to read the
meter by just driving past the property". I guess this qualifies as a
Smart Meter.

This is what we have, and have had for a couple or three years now. It
has the usual mileometer style readout but has an add-on that can be
read remotely.

Saves me ringing them up to correct their hopeless estimates as I used
to have to.