Posted to uk.d-i-y
Bill[_18_] Bill[_18_] is offline

Default Yet more Smart Meters

In message , Davey
writes
It doesn't use the term 'Smart', but it does say that it will use
Automatic Meter Reading Technology, "allowing the company to read the
meter by just driving past the property". I guess this qualifies as a
Smart Meter.

When I was first offered a water meter years ago, I rang NW Water and
asked whether I would be able to read it myself. They didn't seem to
understand the question and I never heard from them again.

I am on a quarterly bill arrangement with electricity. They sent a bill
at the usual date, which I paid. Then a month later they sent an
additional estimated bill to me and also one to an ageing relative,
which distressed her.
I emailed asking why we had a supplementary bill, when the contract said
quarterly. They replied just saying the bill was due and should be paid.
I then exchanged 3 more emails with them asking why the bill and why
they still hadn't answered the question. At that point I decided life
was too short, checked the meter myself and paid. Meanwhile the relative
rang them a few times and finally got through. She said the nice young
man said it must be a mistake and she should not pay. She doesn't seem
to have been hauled off to court yet.

I'd be much happier if I felt I was dealing with a vaguely competent
organisation.
--
Bill