Posted to uk.d-i-y
Nightjar Nightjar is offline

Default Yet more Smart Meters

On 11-Jan-17 12:27 PM, Davey wrote:
On Wed, 11 Jan 2017 12:15:24 +0000
Andy Burns wrote:

Davey wrote:

I read here some weeks ago that the installation of a Smart Meter
was not mandatory, but I have just received a notice about the
impending installation of a water meter in Essex.

Is it a water meter, or a smart water meter?

A few years ago Severn Trent had a division producing smart water
meters. By the time I got smart gas/elec meters and was interested
to know if they could fit a smart water meter, they'd flogged that
division off, and I think the main company became USA based, and now
we just have S****er in the UK and the consumer division doesn't have
the option of installing one.

It doesn't use the term 'Smart', but it does say that it will use
Automatic Meter Reading Technology, "allowing the company to read the
meter by just driving past the property". I guess this qualifies as a
Smart Meter.

How they install this is going to be interesting. The five flats'
supplies split, with 'Y's, inside a pipe chase, which is just big enough
for the pipes, but hardly for meters as well. Outside the property
would meter the whole property, not individual flats.

In some flats I know, the meters are installed in each flat, where the
supply enters the flat.

Colin Bignell