Posted to rec.woodworking

Default TS Circuit -- Part 2

On Sun, 8 Jan 2017 14:45:33 -0600, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote:

On 1/8/2017 2:13 PM, wrote:
On Saturday, January 7, 2017 at 5:26:45 PM UTC-6, Spalted Walt
wrote:

SawStop
https://s3.amazonaws.com/vs-lumberjocks.com/lymffnt.jpg

Completely unrelated to the electrical discussion in this thread.
But I am shocked by the picture of the SawStop motor. Made in
Taiwan. On another forum I read people are always talking about how
wonderful and professional and heavy duty their SawStop saws are. I
would never have guessed they use an Asian motor. Foolishly assumed
a US company would use a Marathon, Baldor, Leeson motor. I looked on
their website and it says this:

"The combination of safety, unparalleled design and craftsmanship has
made SawStop the #1 cabinet saw in North America.

SawStop is a privately owned company based in Tualatin, Oregon, just
south of Portland. We are proud to be 100% U.S. owned and
engineered."

Apparently US owned and engineered does not mean Made in USA.

Did you think differently? American automobiles are built elsewhere
too. Some Buicks are built in China and only sold here.

Hmm. Are you comparing SawStop to a Buick? ;-)

guess its just another Asian made saw with a US invented safety
device on it. Kind of like the current Jet, General, Delta,
Powermatic, Grizzly, etc. saws are all Asian made saws designed to
resemble the original American made Unisaw and 66 saws from many
decades ago.

Not like those saws at all. The internals are totally different than
the brands you listed above. It looks nothing like the others saws on
the inside. The trunion slides straight up and down on two large steel
dowels.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb112...posted-public/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb112...posted-public/

Those gears for tilt and raising the trunion are an inch and a half in
diameter.

chttps://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb11211/8680321455/in/dateposted-public/

I'm not too confident in the quality and reliability of
Asian products. I don't associate quality and Asia together. Not
sure I would trust the SawStop safety feature to even work when I
needed it. A safety saw that cuts your fingers off.

Ignorance is bliss I guess, Honda, Toyota, Lexus, Acura are Asian
products and pretty much at the top of the hill.

AFAIK, Acura is a NA-only brand (of Honda). They don't sell them in
Japan, anyway.