Posted to alt.home.repair
rbowman rbowman is offline

Default OT, Snow!

On 01/07/2017 07:21 PM, wrote:
On Sat, 7 Jan 2017 19:11:33 -0700, rbowman wrote:

On 01/07/2017 02:51 PM, Muggles wrote:
I suppose I could get used to that... don't think it's as hard up there
because everyone is probably used to it and driving in it, unlike around
here where a deep snow only happens once every 5 or 10 years.

The first significant snowfall of the year is retraining time. The
important point to remember is a 4WD vehicle sliding on ice hits just as
hard as a 2WD and a 4WD vehicle high centered on a berm is just as
useless as a 2WD.

"all 4wd does is gets you farther from help"

My favorite 4WD find was an Eddie Bauer Explorer. My reconstruction is
the guy drove around a tight switchback and found he couldn't make it up
the grade on the other side. Admitting defeat he tried to turn around.
The switchback was there to accommodate a gulch in the hillside, and,
unfortunately he managed to drive off the road, going about 20' down the
steep gulch backwards. That must have been fun. Being an intrepid
explorer, the truck was equipped with a Warn winch. He ran the winch
cable out, tied off to a sturdy pine, and all was good. Until the winch
cable snapped, that is. At that point he must have walked back to town
and decided to wait until spring to retrieve it.

I'd hit a deep drift about a quarter mile down the road and had parked
the bike so I was on foot.