Posted to alt.home.repair
Muggles[_17_] Muggles[_17_] is offline

Default OT, Snow!

On 1/7/2017 7:19 PM, wrote:
On Sat, 7 Jan 2017 16:03:39 -0600, Muggles
wrote:

On 1/7/2017 3:48 PM, rbowman wrote:
On 2017-01-07, Frosty wrote:

I live in northern Michigan. We get almost daily snow and/or ice
from November through March. Never missed a day of work because of
it.

Big whoop.

I live in the CO Rockies @ 8K elev. There's a foot of snow on the
ground, it's
-12F, outside, and we gotta drive 100 miles at 7am.

I got yer "cupcake" swingin'.

nb

Pussy. We had -19 Wednesday morning, missing the record by 2 degrees. We
also just missed the record for the coldest high temperature for
January. This global warming really sucks. This is supposed to be the
Montana Banana Belt not frigging North Dakota.

Yikes! How often do people have trouble starting their vehicles at those
temps?

It's gotten better. My Toyota coughed a couple of times and then
started. One factor is a smaller 4 cylinder engine filled with lighter
oil, the other is FI. It certainly does sort out marginal batteries though.

The other approach is some sort of block heater. A lot of pickups with
larger V8 engines have receptacles dangling from their grilles and are
plugged in at night. Back in the '70s we set up a plant in Minnesota and
it seldom got above -20. When I checked in to the motel I noticed each
room had an exterior receptacle. My rental wasn't equipped but the local
contractors all jumped out of their pickups with an extension cord to
plug them in.

Even when the vehicle starts it's fun driving. Manual transmissions are
difficult to shift until the gear oil gets warmed up and the shocks are
stiff so the ride is harsh. It's better with radial tires but the old
bias plies tended to have flat spots on the bottom that took some time
to warm up and round out.

You get much below zero and everything turns into a project. I carry a
Zippo in the winter just in case a lock freezes.

I've spent enough time in Arizona to realize that very high temps can be
life threatening but it's the severe cold that makes me paranoid. Screw
up and you die, it's that simple.

So, how many layers of clothes do those kind of temps require? Here,
it's been below 20° and once it got down to 5°. I usually have 3 layers
on and I'm good with that.

Underwear, regular outer clothing and a GOOD down filled coat does the
job. On real cold days flannel lined jeans over longjohns are a
welcome addition - or a pair of snowmobile pamts. if you are out in
the wind for any time.. Sometimes a good sweater under the coat.

Those flannel lined jeans over longjohns sound awesome!

--
Maggie