Posted to alt.home.repair
Muggles[_17_] Muggles[_17_] is offline

Default OT, Snow!

On 1/7/2017 4:49 PM, Uncle Monster wrote:

On Saturday, January 7, 2017 at 11:21:45 AM UTC-6, Muggles wrote:

On 1/7/2017 7:21 AM, Uncle Monster wrote:

On Saturday, January 7, 2017 at 6:43:20 AM UTC-6, Terry Coombs wrote:
Uncle Monster wrote:
I looked out into the courtyard yesterday afternoon and there it was.
That rare thing for The South which causes complete chaos when it
shows up. Kind of like a herd of toddlers coming for a visit. ?(.?.)?

https://www.yahoo.com/news/snow-stor...075524659.html

[8~{} Uncle Snow Monster

We got up and there it was yesterday ... right now it's 7°F and my wife
just called in to work because the snow melted and refroze into ice on the
roads . The neighbor almost slid off our dirt road yesterday afternoon down
into the "ravine" . We ain't goin' nowhere until the roads are cleared .
--
Snag

Here in Birmingham it 17°F at 7:00am and that is very unusual for Alabastan. I looked out the window and there is a lot of snow in the courtyard and a lot of the staff are trapped here because the roads are closed and authorities want people to stay off the iced over streets and highways. The TV and radio stations are on top of Red mountain so those folks had to spend the night at the stations. My brother is up on Rufner Mountain and there is no way to move without an accident because you'd slide right down the hill. Nothing much is moving and the streets are deserted. Lot's of wrecks, jackknifed trucks and people stuck. The 4wd news vehicles are out showing all the 18 wheelers parked on the side of the interstates because they can't move on the black ice. The good thing is that there are no power outages to speak of. ヽ(ヅ)ノ

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Mountain_(Birmingham)

https://ruffnermountain.org/explore/

[8~{} Uncle Cold Monster

Do you have city salt and sand trucks out treating the streets?
--
Maggie

We have some trucks modified to spread sand and brine plus fitted with attachments for snow plows but we don't have the infrastructure for clearing snow from roads that states up North have. We don't get snow often enough to invest the millions the snow belt states have in snow plows. I don't think anyone considered putting any money into snow clearing equipment until the blizzard of 1993 paralyzed the Southern states. That's when cities, counties and the state highway department modified some of the 6 wheel dump trucks to accept snow abatement gear. The snow plow, brine and sand spreader attachments may sit unused for years before ever being needed again. By that time the trucks that were modified to accept the plows have aged out of the fleet and are sold off. That darn Global Warming has brought us all this snow. Soon, many of us in The South may have to learn how to build igloos, especially after the poles shift and Florida becomes the new North Pole. Jimmy Buffet will have to change the lyrics to his song to "Freezing up in frozen daiquiriville".ヽ(ヅ)ノ

[8~{} Uncle Ice Monster

Here's to hoping the poles don't change, then!

--
Maggie