Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Sears to sell Craftsman to Stanley/B&D

On Sat, 7 Jan 2017 16:24:05 -0500, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 1/7/2017 3:59 PM, Puckdropper wrote:

I think the numbers are standard, however the numbers you want to add,
aren't. These really change the fit.

Sizes aren't standard. Maybe they are in certain sizes, but they are
most definitely not standardized in the length my foot is. It is all
across the board: one 9 boot was too long, but a 10 from another company
is correct. A 9.5 shoe is also right. Oh, and I've got a 10 from the
same company that's also the same length as the 9.5.

All I want is a system that's consistent or at the very least based upon
measuring the foot at key points so I can measure those key points on my
feet and buy a pair of shoes without the whole "will it fit?" game.

Puckdropper

I've never found that variation. I'd been wearing the same size, 10 1/2
3E for decades across different brands of shoe and sneaker. You may
have some other attribute that causes your problem. Toe shape, arch,
instep are factors that shoe shape and style do not account for in sizing.

That's what I've found.

You also have to consider manufacturing tolerance and your normal body
variation during the day. A 1/8" variation is not out of the question.