Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default Conducting concrete

On Saturday, January 7, 2017 at 4:39:08 PM UTC-5, James Wilkinson Sword wrote:
On Sat, 07 Jan 2017 20:26:02 -0000, trader_4 wrote:

On Saturday, January 7, 2017 at 10:28:15 AM UTC-5, James Wilkinson Sword wrote:
On Fri, 06 Jan 2017 15:56:08 -0000, TimR wrote:

On Friday, January 6, 2017 at 9:29:15 AM UTC-5, wrote:
If you touch a hot 120 V wire while standing in socks on your concrete basement
floor or on a deck outside, you WILL get a shock.

It's up to you if you want to call that __conducting__ or not.

I found a reply from OSHA to a question from a corporate safety officer:

Question 2: Would you consider an ungrounded fan, on a dry concrete floor, on grade, in an industrial setting a violation of this specific standard?

Reply: The use of an ungrounded fan situated on a dry concrete floor on grade in an industrial setting will be a violation of the OSHA rule at 1910.304(f)(5)(v)(C)(5), if the fan has exposed non-current-carrying metal parts that can be contacted by employees. Concrete on grade level, because it will absorb moisture from the earth and be a good conductor in direct contact with the earth, is always considered to be at ground potential.

There's something very important right there which backs me up completely:

"because it will absorb moisture from the earth and be a good conductor in direct contact with the earth". So **damp** concrete conducts. I wasn't talking about damp concrete. I was talking about concrete dry enough to be the floor of your home. Do you really walk around on damp floors? What if you lay a carpet?

--
Peter is in the top three most intelligent people -- Ron Tompkins, circa 2013.

So sad that the UK is apparently so poor and backward that they
apparently have bare concrete floors in the living space of most homes.

We do not. We have wooden floors suspended above the ground, to keep the floor dry. It's the AMERICANS that have concrete floors.

How did the village idiot become such an expert on American homes?
If you come over here and look, you'll find a small percentage
of homes that have bare concrete living space floors. Some percentage
of homes, have concrete floors in parts of the living space,
but the vast majority of those are covered with other materials.
The most common construction is wood frame. And WTF does a village
idiot know about US construction in places like AZ? The UK doesn't
even have a desert. I guess you did once upon a time, until you got
your sorry asses run out of your empire.