Posted to rec.woodworking
-MIKE- -MIKE- is offline

Default Sears to sell Craftsman to Stanley/B&D

On 1/7/17 3:43 PM, wrote:
On Fri, 6 Jan 2017 23:22:41 -0600, -MIKE-
wrote:

On 1/6/17 10:45 PM,
wrote:
On Fri, 06 Jan 2017 19:34:58 -0500,
wrote:

On Fri, 6 Jan 2017 15:52:47 -0600, Leon
lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote:

On 1/6/2017 3:00 PM, Jack wrote:
On 1/6/2017 10:57 AM, John McCoy wrote:

I think Sears will go out of business shortly.

I agree with you. I don't think they have a clue how to
solve their problems - they're still trying to figure
out "how do we compete with Walmart", when the world has
moved on and the real competition is the likes of Dollar
General (and, of course, Amazon).

I recently mentioned I was looking to replace my Sony
earphones. Amazon doubled the price from $14 to $27, plus
shipping. I finally found them online at Walmart for $14
and free shipping. Walmart knows whats up, and if Amazon
isn't careful, it will be in the bag with Sears/Kmart.

Not everything purchased through Amazon is supplied or sold
by Amazon. There are thousands of retailers selling their
goods on Amazon and they ship direct from their stores, and
they have all different prices and many are not even in the
ball park of being competitively priced.
But being aligned with Amazon, the (sheeple) public are
convinced they are getting the deal of the century - just
because they bought it online from Amazon - - - - - - .

Sure. Sometimes paying the $13 is less painful than spending a
day finding the cheapest price.

Not only that, but many times you do indeed get the best price. If
you happen to be within a certain distance of a warehouse you can
get same day delivery. I had a friend who ordered a printer and had
it delivered to his door two hours later. He went on Amazon and
spent about 15 minutes finding the printer he needed at the best
price, hit a button and had it on his door step 2 hours later. He
could've spent two hours driving around town, from store to store,
wasting gas, wasting time, getting ****ed off in traffic, and
gotten the same printer, maybe at the same price. But no, he was
sitting at home, in his studio, making money, no gas, no driving,
no frustration, and the printer was at his front door in two
hours.

In a way Amazon is merging new school and old school. There was a
time when groceries and drug stores, and appliance stores delivered
things to your home and it was considered normal. Amazon is
bringing that back along with everything that is new in technology
and consumerism.

That only works if you are just down the road from an Amazon
warehouse. They'd need a cruise missile to get a printer to me in 2
hours. I can usually count on 3 days for a "fast" delivery if it is
coming from Canada - a week if it has to cross the border.

Correct, it's different for different areas.
Keep in mind, though, that the way Amazon is expanding, a year or two
from now you might have the same experience that we do.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--