Posted to rec.woodworking
-MIKE- -MIKE- is offline

Default Sears to sell Craftsman to Stanley/B&D

On 1/7/17 9:21 AM, woodchucker wrote:
On 1/7/2017 9:40 AM, Leon wrote:
On 1/6/2017 10:47 PM, wrote:
On Fri, 6 Jan 2017 18:55:28 -0500, woodchucker
wrote:

On 1/6/2017 4:00 PM, Jack wrote:
On 1/6/2017 10:57 AM, John McCoy wrote:

I think Sears will go out of business shortly.

I agree with you. I don't think they have a clue how to
solve their problems - they're still trying to figure out
"how do we compete with Walmart", when the world has moved
on and the real competition is the likes of Dollar General
(and, of course, Amazon).

I recently mentioned I was looking to replace my Sony
earphones. Amazon doubled the price from $14 to $27, plus
shipping. I finally found them online at Walmart for $14 and
free shipping. Walmart knows whats up, and if Amazon isn't
careful, it will be in the bag with Sears/Kmart.

I don't think so. I have a peeve with Amazon. Originally free
shipping over $25.. then they moved it to $35, and quickly
thereafter to $49... I understand the $35, but the $49 was not
necessary. It was to make you buy into PRIME.. and that's where
my disdain lies. I understood when they said in order for them
to remain profitable they had to move to $35.. That I got..

I just keep adding stuff to my cart until it gets to the $49
threshold. It's really not that much money.

LOL, that strategy payed off for them in your case. ;~) I have
been tempted to do that on occasion and think to my self, am I
really saving, money and or time, by buying from Amazon if I spend
more than I intended?

With Prime I buy only what I need at the time. If I make 3
separate orders in one day they still ship for free.

Are you really saving when you spend over $100 to join prime?

As you say, it depends on how and what you consume.
We probably made up for it twice just in shipping.
The music and TV streaming are worth that price for us which is really
what made us pull the trigger. My thinking was that we were already
spending at least $100 in shipping every year, so let's just pay it up
front and get all these other benefits on top.

What ended up happening is that we now look for excuses to buy stuff on
Amazon, which I'm certain was their intended purpose for it anyway. And
I don't mind a bit because for so many, many things, it's just a much
easier way to shop.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)