Posted to rec.woodworking
Brewster[_2_] Brewster[_2_] is offline

Default Sears to sell Craftsman to Stanley/B&D

On 1/6/17 5:11 PM, woodchucker wrote:

I also fell prey to the Die Hard battery scam. My short lived very
expensive car battery, that died hard and the pro rating wound up
costing me heavily for another battery that lasted a short time. I
replaced that with an Exide and was happy (1980s). I remember reading a
few years later that there was a scam of used or dead batteries being
given as new.. it's so long ago, I am sketchy on the details. But they
were charged and did face the charges. They admitted nothing, but would
offer something to people who were affected... Guilty as far as I am
concerned.

Kind of a side note, but when I was in HS working at a local garage, we
always got a laugh whenever two cars would come in for service with a
Sears battery and IIRC, an Atlas battery. Back then, you had to check
the electrolyte levels and these batteries had the cell caps (one cap
covered 3 of the 6 cells) labeled with the brand.

The Sears batteries had the "Die" and "Hard" caps and the Atlas
batteries had the "Start" and "Fast" caps.

The joke came when we would switch two of the caps making one battery a
"Start Hard" and the other a "Die Fast".

Joke ended when the Boss man found out.... (We were young!)

-BR