Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_7_] Leon[_7_] is offline

Default Sears to sell Craftsman to Stanley/B&D

On 1/6/2017 5:47 PM, woodchucker wrote:
On 1/6/2017 4:13 PM, Jack wrote:
On 1/6/2017 2:28 PM, Leon wrote:
On 1/6/2017 10:56 AM, Tim Daneliuk wrote:
On 01/05/2017 03:54 PM, Leon wrote:
ears cannot survive at this rate, thank you K-Mart.

This has little to do with K-Mart. These traditional retailers
are getting their lunch handed to them because they did not
adapt to the world of eCommerce in a timely and effective way.

KMart needed extra funds, more money than their spectacular profits
could provide back in the early 90's. They needed funds to offset the
extremely high pension payments that retiring family owners were
collecting. As profitable as it was KMart could not sustain payments to
the owners that were collecting pensions. So you look for a profitable
company to help pay costs that the family members pensions would not
affect. Enter Sears.

Amazon has set the bar very high for very fast delivery, great
pricing, and painless returns ... all from your living room. Some
traditional vendors figured this out. Some - Sears as one example -
did not. They're done for.

Capitalism and markets seek efficiency and punish the lack thereof
mercilessly. Creative Destruction is bad for individual actors,
but good for the marketplace overall.

While all of what you have said plays a factor, the problem started 25
years ago and it was not related to pricing, competition, or product
quality.

I recall buying a sandblaster at a relatively new Sears store about
25/30 years ago. I looked for a salesman to sell me the thing for over
a half our. Finally I somehow found a manager bouncing around and
raised hell with him, asked him how long he thought they would be in
business if no one could find a salesman. Place closed about 3 years
later.

Also, about 2 years ago I needed some shelf brackets. Sears had them
for .79 cents apiece. I asked if they were mis-priced, as they should
be about a nickel each. Found them on line, 25 for $1.49.

When you have fools running a business, competition will kill you
eventually.

Shelf brackets for a nickel apiece 2 years ago??? Maybe 50 years ago

LOL, the hooks are 15 cents each.