Posted to alt.home.repair
songbird songbird is offline

Default excellent price on LEDs yesterday

Uncle Monster wrote:
I'm curious, what brand are the LED bulbs? There are cheap Chinese made LED bulbs that are sold by the ton or shipping container load and the quality is not that good. I've seen name brand LED bulbs that are made in China and seem to be well made because the brands have control of production.

GE branded Bright Stick daylight.

Back home I have some Sylvania, Cree and no name brand bulbs that have been on continuously for 4 years(as far as I know). The Sylvania was made in China and I remember the Cree bulb being labeled,"assembled in USA". I have some LED candelabra base 25w equivalent in small table lamps I used for night lights. I put one behind the big screen TV as a backlight to illuminate the wall behind TV and it stays on as a night light. All my desk lamps and small table lamps are plugged into battery backup power supplies. The last time I was home in January of 2015 there was a power outage and the LED lamps were on for 6 hours and could have lasted much longer on the battery backups. Incandescent lamps wouldn't have lasted that long.

*nods* they are well worth the switch if you
are going to run them off a backup or a generator
or even solar panels or wind power. every bit less
load the better as that is also less battery storage
needed.

I remember the dim little red newfangled LED's that showed up on the market when I was a young man and how excited me and the other electronic experimenters were to get our hands on them. Then different color LED's started showing up and we were so happy but the Holy Grail, the blue LED was the last one to show up and make LED color displays and later the incandescent replacement bulbs possible. I haven't kept up with the technical information because the darn things are light years ahead of what I worked with and experimented with years ago and I'm amazed at what I see available today. The LED TV's I have amaze me. ヽ(ヅ)ノ

i know, i love the fact that i can lift this 27" monitor
with two fingers. i just got it after my old tube monitor
finally started going. i'm sure it uses much less juice
than the old one.

songbird