Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Sears to sell Craftsman to Stanley/B&D

On Fri, 6 Jan 2017 18:50:15 -0500, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 1/6/2017 2:49 PM, wrote:
On Friday, January 6, 2017 at 10:15:58 AM UTC-6, John McCoy wrote:
Ed Pawlowski wrote in
:

They missed the boat a long time ago. Sers had a thriving catalog
business. They should have turned that into something like Amazon
before Amazon started up.

Hah, I just posted a long post saying the same thing before
reading this one. You're quite correct in that thought.

John

Not to disparage you guys, but you are basically saying Sears should have been able to predict the future. Everything would be better if we could all do that. Sears did not predict the future so they did not use their catalog business to become the major retail seller of the future. If that is the logic you are using then we are all idiots because we did not invent Apple before Jobs and Wozniak did in 1976. Why didn't you know computers and mobile phones and online was the future? Are you stupid? Who sitting here today knew that buying stuff from home using a computer was the future? Shopping in stores was out?

When the future was already happening around them they still did
nothing. Yes, that is stupid. Even WalMart was late to the e-commerce
game and recently invested in (bought?) jet.com so they can catch up.
Check out the JC Penney web site to see a useless disaster. Sears is
just a link for items sold by others.

JCPenney has been a zombie for a decade or more. They were losing
money because people figured out that you don't buy anything there at
full price - wait for the sale. A new CEO decided to change that, so
get rid of all the sales. ...and the customers, too.

When the world shifted to using computers, Sears, Macy, Penny started to
investigate upgrading to electric typewriters.

Unlike Wozniak I did not have the ability to invent a PC, but I did
start using one in the 1980's. Some simple automated reports we use at
work today are descendants of the DOS things I did back then.

You don't have to invent technology to embrace and use it.