Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Sears to sell Craftsman to Stanley/B&D

On 06 Jan 2017 23:54:16 GMT, Puckdropper
puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com wrote:

John McCoy wrote in
1:

Probably worth noting (since we're all dudes here) that this
is something women have suffered with for years. No two makers
of ladieswear use quite the same set of sizes - my girlfriend
can be a 4, 6, or 8, a XS, S, or M, and never knows until she
starts trying stuff on.

John

It's the same way with shoes. People keep insisting shoe sizes are the
same, but that just doesn't match my reality. I just sent back a size 9
boot to trade for an 8.5, but I have a 9.5 shoe that fits perfectly. The
boots I'm wearing now are 10's.

If I had my way about it, the foot would be measured and the shoe would
be specified to fit the measurements of the foot. The dimensions would
be inches or centimeters, not whatever measurement the manufacturer
decided to use today. Now you know your 25.5cm by 7.76cm (length by max
width across the ball of the foot) foot will likely match a 26cmx8cm
shoe.

That really doesn't work either. Width matters and even that doesn't
tell everything. I wear 6E shoes, not because my foot is
exceptionally wide, rather because my instep is very high. There are
very few shoe brands that leave enough material to get around my foot.