Posted to uk.d-i-y
DerbyBorn[_5_] DerbyBorn[_5_] is offline

Default Cars have definitely changed

Tim+ wrote in news
rick wrote:
Having been driving for 40 years ... the most that has ever gone
wrong on the Transmission side of things is a slipping clutch or a
leaky prop shaft oil seal.

Last week car (New Jeep Cherokee) which has a ZF 9 speed automatic
transmission, would not start, declared "park sensors faulty" - wiped
them clean in case it was just mud.

Still wouldn't start now declared "parking brake faulty" .. car has
electronic & automatic handbrake.

Multiple attempts on manually turning parking brake on & off then it
finally started - only to be limited to about 5mph (found out this
is Limp mode)
Trying to put car back in driveway found any attempt to move to D or
R and I got a big thud and the car jerked .. much like snapping your
foot off the clutch on a manual car.

Switched all off - locked it up and left in 5 mins ..... then
returned and all back to normal, working fine only issue there is now
engine management light on.

Called Main dealer who I bought it from, and they advise they can't
look at it until 19th Jan as workshop is busy !!! (22 days at that
point) and suggest I call out Roadside Assistance (included with
car)

Called out roadside assistance ... they advised no roadside
assistance, all they will do as management light is on is 'on truck'
recovery to dealer.

It got to dealer who after some pressure at least plugged in Laptop
to diagnose Engine Management light ..... Transmission failure.

Result is I need a new gearbox and new transaxle ........ wow !

The Jeep originated form Willys Jeep of WW2 that was designed to be
reliable and robust.

I can't believe it has any connection to the Willys Jeep - other than a
plagiarised name